Earlier this year when we started planning our vacations for 2017, one of the most important factors in deciding where we’d travel was the availability of pet-friendly lodging and other pet-inclusive activities and amenities. We knew we would be taking Georgie with us, so our destination had to be welcoming to dogs in just about every aspect.
Lucky for us, RewardExpert.com just released its report of the most pet-friendly vacation destinations in the United States for 2017.
The report analyzes 53 of the largest cities in the country based on 10 key metrics broken down into three dimensions: pet needs, pet recreation, and city profile. An aggregate score was used to determine which cities are most accommodating for the entire family, including 4-legged family members.
Today I’m sharing a look at the top 5 big cities to visit with pets, in hopes of helping you plan your vacation for this year.
Top 5 Big Cities to Visit with Pets
1) Tampa, FL – It just so happens Tampa is one of my favorite cities ever, and I wasn’t surprised to see it at the top of RewardExpert.com’s list. The city offers plenty of lodging options with 32 dog-friendly hotels per hundred thousand residents. There are also 50 dog parks, which means travelers won’t have any trouble finding fun activities to do with their pets.
2) San Francisco, CA – I’ve never been to San Fran, but I’ve always wanted to go. Now that I know it’s one of the best big cities to travel with my pet, you can bet we’ll be planning a trip there very soon.
3) Miami, FL – One of the most beautiful cities in the world also happens to be extremely pet-friendly. Gorgeous beaches, breathtaking views, and your dog can accompany you as you’re out and about. Win-win!
4) Washington, DC – Gotta admit, this one surprised me. According to RewardExpert.com, our nation’s capital offers a wide variety of restaurants and cafes that allow pets, dog-friendly hiking trails, and pet-related events.
5) Atlanta, GA – The ATL offers a wide variety of pet-related businesses, and if you’re a baseball fan, you might want to take your mutt to Bark in the Park at Turner Field.
If you’d like to see if your city is included on RewardExpert’s list of most pet-friendly vacation spots this year, check it out here.
To check out some of my favorite pet-friendly lodging options throughout the country, click here.
And before you leave for your trip, be sure to check out my list of road trip necessities for traveling with dogs. You can never be too prepared!
Will you be traveling with your pet this year?
If so, share your destination with us! Also, feel free to share photos of your trip with us on our Facebook page!