As you may know, we just brought a new puppy into our home a few weeks ago. I’d forgotten how much work puppies are, but I’ll be honest with you: I know that our little Georgie is totally worth it. She’s adorable and funny, and every day she’s changing. I don’t want to wish her puppyhood away, but I am so excited to see the dog she becomes.
It’s a fact of life that like human babies, puppies need a lot of stuff. Today I’m sharing my Puppy Starter Kit with you. This is my list of the must-have items you’ll need before you bring your new bundle of joy into your home. Take a peek:
- Soft plush toys. These from Kong are among my favorites, and puppies love them.
- Poop bags. Trust me, you can never have enough and we love these from Earth Rated. Pair them with this poop bag dispenser, and you’re good to go.
- Pee pads. I’m starting to think I should buy stock in these. We use a ton of them.
- Chew toys. Puppies chew a lot, and they’ll chew on darn near anything they can find. Give them something good.
- Dog bed. Depending on how much your pup will grow, this is something it might be able to use for an entire lifetime. Buy a good quality bed.
- Treat pouch. It’s good to keep this handy during training. This one from PetSafe is my favorite.
- Play pen. This is a must, because there are going to be times you need to get things done around the house and keeping an eye on your pup is tricky. A play pen is great because it corrals your mutt but still allows plenty of room for play.
- Crate. I’m a huge believer in crate training, so a good high-quality crate is an absolute must.
In addition to the items on this list, you might find that you want to brush up on your puppy IQ. There are some really awesome books about puppies on topics like house training, crate training, and general care. These are a few of my absolute favorites.
These are just a few of my personal recommendations, but there are many quality books and products available on the market today. What other items can you think of that a new puppy might need? Please feel free to share them in a comment below! And be sure to check out my post, 7 Things to Do Before You Bring Your New Puppy Home.
Psst! This post contains affiliate links which means that if you use one of them to make a purchase, we may receive an itty bitty commission at no additional cost to you. Of course you are never obligated to use our links to make your purchase but when you do, you get something super duper awesome and we earn a little moolah for things like dog toys, dog treats, and well, hmmm, is it possible our dogs are spoiled? Oh well, we appreciate it when you support our blog by purchasing through our links.