On a quest to find healthy, wholesome, and easy to make homemade treats for my dogs, I came across this recipe from DogTipper.com. Five wholesome ingredients, only 25 minutes in the oven? Okay, I’m in!
You know a treat is going to be a hit with your dogs when, as it’s baking in the oven, your home fills with an aroma that even you think smells delicious.
While I was making these, I had 2 dogs underfoot, barely able to contain their excitement about what was to come.
This blog post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase using these links, I may receive a small commission at no additional charge to you. Thank you for supporting my blog and small business!
You’ll see in the recipe below that when you roll out the dough for these treats, you can cut them with cute cookie cutters, like these bone-shaped ones, or you can simply make little dough balls. Using the cookie cutters is a little more work, but the result is oh so adorable, don’t you think?
My mutts are huge fans of peanut butter, and one of Nike’s all-time favorite foods is a sweet, juicy apple (check out these treats, too!), so it was a given that these peanut butter and apple sauce cookies would quickly become a house favorite. I’m willing to bet your dog will love them, too!
Grab This FREE Printable Pet Recipe Card
Why not use our cute little printable recipe card to save this recipe for future use? Get your freebie by clicking here. Just save to your computer and print it as many times as you like!
- 3 c whole wheat flour
- 2 c quick-cook oats
- 1 c peanut butter (smooth or chunky, your choice!)
- 1 c unsweetened organic applesauce
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/4-1/2 cup olive oil or coconut oil, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and cover 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients well.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface. If the dough is too loose and crumbly, you can add a 1/4-1/2 cup olive oil or coconut oil at this point.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough to about 1/4 inch thick and then cut into shapes with cookie cutters. If you don't want to use cookie cutters, simply make small dough balls.
- Place cookies on baking sheet, approximately 1/2 inch apart.
- Bake in preheated over for approximately 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Let cool and then serve.
- Store uneaten cookies in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.
Have you tried these peanut butter and apple sauce cookies for dogs?
Tell me about your experience in a comment below, or better yet, join my private Facebook group for dog moms and join in the conversation there!