Although I focus on shelter dogs every day of every month, my blog will be especially focused this month because October is Adopt a Shelter Dog Month.
If you are unable to adopt a shelter dog, you might wonder what you can do this month (and every month) to make shelter dogs’ lives a little happier. Well, let me give you some ideas!
1) Donate your Facebook status and help network shelter dogs in need. Our Facebook always lists dogs in search of forever homes. Social networking does work, and we need you to help us share these dogs with the rest of the world.
2) Follow us on Twitter and retweet our pleas for shelter dogs. It’s another great way to spread the word about dogs that are looking for loving families.
3) Pin shelter dogs’ pictures on Pinterest. I love Pinterest for sharing photos of dogs in need. Try it!
4) Become a shelter or rescue volunteer. Even if you don’t have more than a few hours a month, it does make a difference to shelter dogs. One hour of your time means that 3 or 4 dogs can get out of their kennels and get some sunshine and fresh air on a walk. Plus, they benefit so much from spending time with loving humans!
5) Donate to your local shelter. Even if you can’t make a huge monetary donation, shelters need things like pet food, treats, blankets, etc. Call your local shelter and ask them what they need. I’ll bet they give you a list!
6) Most importantly, spay and neuter your pets! To truly make a difference for shelter dogs, we must prevent the constant reproduction of unwanted litters of puppies and kittens. Be responsible and “fix” your pet.
These are just a few ideas of ways you can make an impact on the lives of shelter dogs this month… and every month! Can you think of other things we can do? How will YOU make a difference?