We’re celebrating Earth Day on April 22 and it’s the perfect time to commit to making our world a better place!
It doesn’t take much to make a huge impact, and today I’m sharing 7 ways to celebrate Earth Day and change the world just a little bit, and you can do it all with your dog!
This blog post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase using these links, I may receive a small commission at no additional charge to you. Thank you for supporting my blog and small business!
7 Ways to Celebrate Earth Day With Your Dog
- Donate. If you’re working on spring cleaning and decluttering, don’t throw out those gently used pet toys, beds, old blankets, and towels. Instead, give them new life by donating them to a local shelter or rescue group. You know what they say: one dog’s trash is another dog’s treasure!
- Walk. Take your dog for a walk. Getting out to enjoy the beautiful weather is great for both you and your dog. Not only is it good for your physical health, but the exercise will improve your mood and will stimulate your pup’s mind. You’ll also help reduce air pollution and save gas if you walk rather than drive.
- Be earth friendly by using biodegradable poop bags. It’s not enough to make sure you’re cleaning up after your dog; make sure you’re doing it in a way that is environmentally friendly.
- Green Clean. Make sure you’re using “green” products to clean your home. It’s been proven that natural products clean just as well as those that are filled with toxic chemicals, and they’re a lot healthier for your family, your pets, and the planet.
- Upcycle old household products to make dog toys that are safe and environmentally friendly. It’s so easy to use old t-shirts and socks to create toys that your dog will play with for hours, and they’re much cheaper than those you buy at a pet store.
- Plant a garden. Spring is the perfect time to put out dog-friendly flowers and other plants, and not only is it good for the environment, but many people claim that gardening helps them to relax and de-stress. If you don’t have a big yard, consider container gardening on your deck or patio. A dog-friendly backyard is a great place for the entire family.
- Recyle. Millions of pets are euthanized each year due to over-population. If you’re considering adding a pet to your family, visit your local shelter or rescue group and adopt a “recycled pet”.
Bonus Earth Day Tip
As a dog mom, another way you can celebrate Earth Day is by always, always cleaning up after your mutt. The average dog produces more than 274 pounds of poop per year; can you imagine what the world would be like if no one bothered to clean that up? Ew.
Cleaning up after your pet is important because it helps limit the spread of disease and it just makes the world a much nicer place.
As you can see, it doesn’t require a lot of effort to make a big difference in the world, and Earth Day is a great time to get started. If each of us makes an effort to reduce our carbon footprint and paw print, we can make the world a better, healthier place for ourselves, our families, and our pets.
How are you celebrating Earth Day this year?
I’d love for you to leave a comment below, or feel free to stop by my private Facebook group for dog moms and join in the conversation there!