Ever since Georgie joined our family in 2016, I’ve become a big fan of pet-friendly businesses. When I leave the house, I like to take her with me as often as possible, so knowing which stores, restaurants, and other public places welcome dogs is really important to me.
The same is true when we travel. Finding nice overnight accommodations can be a challenge but when you’re traveling with a dog, it’s even more difficult.
A lot of hotels, motels, and resorts don’t allow pets at all, and many that do charge a non-refundable pet fee. Several have restrictions on size and breed, so it’s really imperative to get all the details up front when you’re looking for a place to stay with the entire family, 4-legged friends included.
I’ve put together a list of 7 dog-friendly lodging options for pet parents, and as you’ll see, there’s something for every budget. No matter where you’re traveling this year, you can find a place that will welcome you and your dog with open paws… er, arms. Keep reading to learn more!
This blog post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase using these links, I may receive a small commission at no additional charge to you. Thank you for supporting my blog and small business!
7 Dog-Friendly Lodging Options for Pet Parents
1) Hyatt – If you really want to pamper your dog, be sure to check out Hyatt’s offerings, including pillows, beds, pet-friendly door hangers, and more. Some locations even have a doggie menu and offer a “Yappy Hour”. Fun for you and your dog!
2) La Quinta – This hotel chain has over 700 pet-friendly locations in the United States, and both cats and dogs are allowed in guest rooms. No extra fees or deposits are required, which is a big plus for pet parents.
3) Kimpton – At Kimpton, the pet policy is pretty simple: if the pet can fit through the hotel doors, they’re welcome to stay. There’s no size, weight, or breed restrictions, and they never tack on additional charges. And bonus: there’s a hosted wine hour for pet parents!
4) Choice Hotels – Featuring 11 brands including Comfort Inn, Sleep Inn, Clarion, Rodeway Inn, Choice Hotels offers more than 2,500 pet-friendly locations where your pets can stay with you. Call ahead for each location’s specific pet policy.
5) Red Roof Inn – This is a budget-friendly and pet-friendly chain that always welcomes dogs. There are no additional fees for staying here with your dog.
6) Holiday Inn – Not all locations are pet-friendly, but the list of those that do allow pets is extensive. Click here to see it. We stayed in one in St. Louis last year, and found it to be clean, comfortable, and welcoming of our entire family.
7) VRBO – This is my personal favorite. My family and I have used VRBO (Vacation Rentals by Owner) on multiple occasions to find amazing pet-friendly lodging throughout the USA. Last summer we stayed in a gorgeous cabin in Branson, MO, and you can bet we’ll be going back soon. Of course, not all VRBO properties allow pets, but so many do and we’ve never been disappointed.
No matter which option you choose, be sure to call ahead to verify that your pet is indeed welcome.
You might also ask what amenities are available (bowls, beds, poop bags, etc.), which might help lessen the burden of packing for your pet.
Another great resource for finding pet-friendly hotels, restaurants, events and more is BringFido.com. They donate a portion of all proceeds to numerous pet charities, humane societies, and rescue groups every year, and you’ll help save a homeless pet every time you reserve a hotel room through BringFido.com.
Do you have a favorite dog-friendly hotel, motel, or resort?
Please share it in a comment below, or visit stop by my private Facebook group for dog moms and join in the conversation there!