We all love puppies and kittens, and why wouldn’t we? They’re warm little balls of cuddly fur, and just watching them play with one another is enough to soften even the hardest heart.
But the world doesn’t need another litter of puppies or kittens, and as a responsible pet owner, it’s your job to make sure your dog or cat isn’t contributing to the already out of hand problem of pet over-population.
Why spay and neuter? Here are just 5 reasons:
- The ASPCA estimates that 3 to 4 million animals are euthanized in US shelters every year. This is because there are not enough home for the unwanted pets that already exist – so why add more?
- According to Petfinder, only one of every 10 dogs ever finds a permanent home. That means only 10 percent of all puppies born ever have a family and a home of their own. The other 90 percent are part of that 3 to 4 million that never make it out of the shelter.
- Spaying and neutering provides numerous health benefits for your pet, enabling it to live a longer, healthier life. Spaying helps prevent breast cancer and uterine infections in females, and neutering can reduce the risk of testicular cancer in males. And contrary to old wives tales, neither procedure will make your pet fat.
- Pets that are spayed or neutered have less desire to roam. That means your pet is less likely to escape and become lost, get into fights with other animals, or experience a traumatic injury like being hit by a car.
- Spaying and neutering is the cost-effective alternative. It is much cheaper to pay for your pet’s surgery than it is to properly care for an entire litter of kittens or puppies. And if you need financial assistance, there are low-cost spay and neuter clinics all over the country.
Want to learn some shocking statistics? Check this out:
- The Humane Society of The United States estimates a female cat and her offspring can produce 420,000 cats in just 7 years. What if your neighbor’s cat does the same thing? We’re looking at almost 1 million cats, all because their owners weren’t responsible enough to spay and neuter.
- A female dog and her offspring will produce 67,000 dogs in 6 years. Again, the result of one person’s carelessness.
- A staggering 61 percent of all dogs that enter shelters are killed; even worse, 75 percent of all cats don’t make it out alive.
- USA Today reports that the burden on taxpayers is $2 billion per year to impound, shelter, euthanize, and dispose of homeless animals. When you look at it from that perspective, it’s easy to see that this isn’t just an issue for pet owners – it impacts all of us.
These are just a few of the reasons why spaying or neutering your pet is the responsible thing to do. Can you think of others? Please share in comments below!